Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cosplay Skills - Wigs

If you don't have the hundred dollars to spend on a high quality grade wig don't fret, I've got you covered. If you have old wigs you can always re-use them. "But it isn't the right style or color." You might say, well that is an easy fix.

First of all if you don't have a wig then go buy a cheap one from your local party supply store. If you are going to dye it a different color try to get a blonde or white one, the lighter the color the better.

Once you've purchased a wig or dug up an old one you're going to want to get the tangles out of it. "But oh it'll pull out all the hair!" Relax! I got you! You're going to want a soft bristled brush, the softer the bristles the better. Yes a few hairs may come out but it'll be fine I promise. Make sure you brush out from the bottom, the tips of the hair, and work your way up to the "roots" of the wig. If you find a super bag tangle just take you're time with it and comb it out from the bottom of it. You can even try to pick up some of that de-tangling spray for you're wig if it's too bad, you know, the kind that kids use. There are some specific brands for wigs and fake hair but I just used that Lorel stuff. :/ sooo yeah.

Once you've gotten the tangles out you're going to move onto the next step. Chances are you will need it straight for most cosplays. So if your wig is curly then we are going to straighten it. DON'T USE A FLAT IRON OR REGULAR IRON ON IT!!!! That's really important because it will melt the plastic-like fibers your wig is made out of. :/ There are lots of tutorials on this online, but since you're here lets review.


You're going to need a wig stand or something you can hang your wig on first of all so that it can hang straight. Next heat up some water to about 180-185 degrees, or the near boiling water that comes out of you're sink if you have that attachment. In all of the tutorials, they said to pour on the water, but I simply ducked my whole wig in a huge bowl of the hot water and then hung it up 0.0 it worked just fine for me. :/ You're going to want to let it drip-dry all on it's own. I took my fingers and king of wrung it out a little to help spend along the process and help keep the curls straighter as it dried but you don't have to.

Depending on how curly your wig was you might have to do this several times. it's not a fast process at all, not by a long shot, it took my wig a whole night to dry! D: But I guess I wanted to save money XD so it was okay.

Now that you're wig is straight if it's not the right color you're going to need to dye it! D8 Oh god. Well you're probably thinking,"Easy enough, I dye my own hair all the time and this time I just have to dunk the wig in the dye right?" Eh...wrong. Since wigs aren't made out of the same stuff as you're hair (unless you bought a human hair wig then I don't know about any of this :/ ) it doesn't dye the same way either. Wigs are made out of a plastic like material and you're going to want to dye it with ink. There are several tutorials on how to do this as well and I'm going to relate to you how to do it the simplest way I've found.

Below is the video I used for wig dyeing and it worked pretty good. :) The girl seems to know what she's doing and stuff so yeah just follow her lead. XD I hope I've helped a little bit and I hope this girl helps you a little bit too! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment